I celebrated finally getting a cast iron skillet this morning by making a breakfast hash. I ended up using some left over ingredients from last night’s chilli. The final product could have used some cilantro, but we ran out. It was delicious nonetheless.
You’ll need a cast iron skillet. Be sure to read the care instructions on how to prep your skillet for use. This thing is dead easy to make and looks impressive.
1. Prep your cast iron skillet if needed.
2. Set your oven to 400 degrees.
3. Remove the chorizo from its casing and crumble into small pieces.
4. Place chorizo, diced sweet potatoes, onions and peppers in cast iron skillet. Toss with oil, season with salt and pepper.
5. Put in the oven for about 25 minutes
6. Remove from the oven carefully and place on stove top. Using the back of a large spoon, press down on the hash to create a space for your eggs. Crack the eggs into the spaces (being mindful of the hot pan).
Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes to let the eggs set, depending on how runny you like the eggs. You can shake the pan or lightly tap the top of the egg to check doneness.
7. Scoop, serve and eat. It was good with some extra hot sauce.